[compiz] Flat file backend (ini)

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Apr 25 11:50:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 19:50 +0100, Mike Dransfield wrote:
> Diogo Ferreira wrote:
> > The current INI plugin seems to fail loading when there isn't a
> > ~/.compiz dir. Since most users won't have it I believe it makes sense
> > to mkdir it  before trying to mkdir the sub-options directory.
> > I would have done it but since you use the get dir function a lot it
> > would mean changing the structure a little and since it's your plugin
> > I think you know best how to change it accordingly.
> >

> Ive been meaning to get some clarification on whether
> or not I can rely on .compiz existing.  When I first wrote
> the ini plugin, I though I could.
>
> Its more a global directory so I do not create it, but I can
> if its required.
>
> Should I be creating this directory?  OR should it be the
> responsibility of core to make sure this exists (it is defined
> there)

There's no way we can ever guarantee that a ~/.compiz directory exists.
~/ could be read only or the disk could be full so make sure your code
can deal with that properly. Whoever wants to write something to
~/.compiz should be responsible for trying to create the directory if it
doesn't exist.

- David