[compiz] Re: compiz: Changes to 'master'

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Apr 25 13:29:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 20:45 +0100, Mike Dransfield wrote:
> David Reveman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 11:09 -0700, Robert Carr wrote:
> >
> >> include/compiz.h |    1 +
> >>  1 files changed, 1 insertion(+)
> >>
> >> New commits:
> >> commit 2402215a6a3bd50e9d87e99d4a45de14b635ecea
> >> Merge: 1b0ae38... 7f518da...
> >> Author: Robert Carr <racarr at gorbie.(none)>
> >> Date:   Wed Apr 25 14:09:38 2007 -0400
> >>
> >>     Merge branch 'master' of git+ssh://racarr@git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/compiz
> >>
> >> commit 1b0ae388155a18ea07f148d6163cf7d5deaa0cbd
> >> Author: Robert Carr <racarr at gorbie.(none)>
> >> Date:   Wed Apr 25 14:09:25 2007 -0400
> >>
> >>     Add a priv entry to CompAction. For a use case see: compiz-scheme. It's neccesary to implement in a proper way actions that have to go through a wrapper C function. In general the idea of having Actions without an assosciated Option / Actions added at run time needs to be explored a bit more because the current code is not well suited for it.
> >>

> > Why did you add it to the CompOption struct? If we need some user data
> > attached to actions then that should go into the CompAction struct but
> > I'm not sure we want that at all. If you want to create run-time actions
> > like your compiz-schema code is doing I suggest that you just use
> > addScreenAction and check for a matching event manually in handleEvent.
> >

> I had the same problem with the python plugin (ie runtime generation of
> options/actions).  I solved it by comparing the memory address of the
> action since CompActionInitiateProc has a reference to it.  I am not sure
> this is a very nice thing to do, but it works well so far.

Pointer comparison is fine, there's nothing wrong with that but it's not
currently allowed to add options at run-time in any other way than by
activating a plugin.

> I might have a look at doing the python plugin this way, but the lazyness
> inside me is saying not to ;)

If we want to run-time actions and hooking into handleEvent and manually
checking if the event matches an action is currently too much trouble or
not appropriate for some reason an interface for run-time actions should
be added. It should be very easy to add this.

- David