[compiz] OSD Mystery

Travis Watkins amaranth at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 30 13:56:26 PDT 2007

On 8/30/07, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> I recently started using compiz-fusion.  After spending months looking
> at an anemic little rectangular on-screen volume control when I use
> the volume buttons on my ubuntu thinkpad T60p, all of a sudden I
> noticed that I was getting a nice, big, robust rounded-corner display
> (somewhat mac-like).  Now it's gone again.
>
> I really have no clue whether this came from compiz-fusion, emerald, a
> plugin, or something else entirely.  I've been unable to find any
> likely options in the ccsm.  I was using prebuilt compiz-fusion
> packages from amaranths repo for a while, and just switched to one I
> built from git-head.  I don't know if that accounts for the
> disappearance.
>
> Maybe this is just a hidden gnome setting.  Does anybody know?

This is gnome-settings-daemon. In the version of GNOME you're using it
only does the composited check when it starts so you either have to
start compiz before gnome-settings-daemon or kill
gnome-settings-daemon after starting compiz (it'll restart on it's
own).

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com