[compiz] Tooltips show up on all screens of cube

Dennis Kasprzyk onestone at opencompositing.org
Wed Dec 26 20:22:23 PST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 26. Dezember 2007 06:50:36 schrieb Erkin Bahceci:
> On Dec 4, 2007 1:01 PM, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 17:48 +0100, rudolf randal wrote:
> > > When ever i hover over something that gives me a tool tip - it is
> > > showing on all sides of my cube - dont want that - is there a cure ?
> >
> > Not really as we're not allowed to change the location of the tool tip
> > windows inside compiz. They are override-redirect windows and window
> > managers are not allowed to touch them.
> >
> > We could of course just avoid rendering them on more than one side of
> > the cube but that would be pretty bad unless we also redirected the
> > input.
> >
> > -David
>
> Hi,
>
> Won't the user always be on the same viewport where the tooltip/menu
> is actually shown? (since it opens because the user is interacting
> with an application on that viewport). If that's the case, the user
> will always be able to interact with the menu, so we could just not
> paint override_redirect windows (menus, tooltips) on all viewports,
> with the attached patch.
>
> If there is any case where the menu opens up on another viewport (is
> that even possible?), I think only then we should render it on all
> viewports (or at least on the active viewport), so that the user can
> interact with it.
>
> Regards,
> Erkin

I don't think that this patch is the "final" solution. We will need a system
to detect the main application window of a override redirect window and then
only show it on the same viewport.

I know that your patch fixes the problem, but I'm already thinking about input
redirection. Once we have input redirection we will need to have a system to
detect that a override redirect window belongs to given application window,
because we want to transform menus/tooltips in the same way like the main
application window. I think that there will be an (we should define one ;-)
EWHM spec in the future that will give us this information, but we will need
to find a solution for older applications anyway.

I'm not saying that your patch shouldn't be included, because this is a
decision that David should make, but maybe you could also try to find a more
generic solution for both probelms.

Dennis