[compiz] Blurring behind windows

Solerman Kaplon solerman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 09:00:53 PST 2007

Mike Dransfield escreveu:
> I think my aim is to have a blur plugin that you do
> not need to tweak endlessly to get decent performance.
> There should be other more complicated blur plugins if
> people want but all I need is a basic blur that I cannot
> notice a performance hit with.

That just means a sensible default. The problem is that what is good for
you isn't good for others (ati cards, intel, via, etc)

> I have a 6800 now and had a 5200 before, both cards
> had slowdown with blurfx.
>
> My real question was on how to get the texture only
> under the window?, from what I can work out this is
> not easy, and is probably a cause of a lot of the
> slowness.  If another plugin wanted to desaturate under
> windows as well as blur then the overhead would be
> massive.

I'm not sure sharers work that way. You don't ask the texture, the
shader provide it for you based on how you declared your in parameters
(someone more acknowledgeable can correct me here), you change the
parameters in a way and turn it out. Now, a 6800 should be a lot faster
than my 5200 by a large amount, I think or you don't have your drivers
updated enough, or you don't have a recent enough version of the plugin.
Anyway, I would like to see the plugin ported to compiz as well, but I
remember that being one of the ones that needed changes to the core to
be integrated. I ain't no plugin coder so I can't answer more one that :)

Solerman