[compiz] compiz 0.3.6 in fedora rawhide

Elijah Newren newren at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 13:28:05 PST 2007

On 1/19/07, Saikat Guha <saikat at cs.cornell.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 13:35 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> > To match what most people consider a bug in metacity?
>
> I, for one, like how metacity will place a window on the screen which
> has my mouse pointer (and thus my visual attention, particularly since I
> use sloppy/mouse-focus)
>
> It also allows me to control where applications go as and when I start
> them up -- I'll click on gnome-terminal and move my mouse to the screen
> I want that g-t instance to pop up on, quite intuitive and
> application-agnostic (unlike devilspie).

???

Unless an application specifies a location for the window with
UPosition or PPosition hints, metacity places windows where there is
space available and ignores the mouse pointer position entirely.
Unless someone has patched your specific version of metacity, that is
(various hacks have shown up to do things like this, so this wouldn't
be all that surprising).  I've received lots of complaints that
metacity *doesn't* behave the way you describe (and I wonder if Rob
might be the only person in the world that likes the current metacity
algorithm...)

Elijah