[compiz] INTEL_BATCH=1

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 5 08:01:12 PDT 2007

Hendrik Kaju wrote:
> I have noticed a framerate boost (~700 fps without it and ~1100 fps with
> the variable) in glxgears using INTEL_BATCH=1 but no performance gain in
> real 3D apps (Enemy Territory, Google Earth). I got these results with a
> 915GM card in Feisty Fawn.
> However in Mandriva One (I don't know the version, it was the first one
> with Metisse) I got ~1100 fps regardless whether I had set the var or
> not.

Interesting. Indeed when running with compiz enabled (without
INTEL_BATCH FWIW). I get the following results:

[colin at jimmy ~]$ INTEL_BATCH=1 glxgears
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x64
8107 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1621.257 FPS
8368 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1673.456 FPS
[colin at jimmy ~]$ glxgears
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x64
6213 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1242.563 FPS
6344 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1268.641 FPS

That's a good FPS improvement!

That said it has been stated time and time again that glxgears is a
crappy benchmark. Still it's still nice to get more FPS regardless :D

Cheers

Col.