[compiz] window drawing problems in my plugin

gasol gasol.swe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:48:51 PDT 2007

Yes I thought of that option too, but in that case I would have to
re-parent it too a window that is off-screen,
and correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think that the app would get
any expose events, unless i sent them to it
with a client message, say every second or so. And therefore would the
window draw itself if it is off-screen?

I was just thinking if there was some nice built in feature in Compiz
or some plugin that could help me with this.

The other option would be to re-parent the windows under the cubes,
but that would hinder me from allowing the cubes
to have a opacity since you would see the apps through the cubes.

//Håkan

>Well, the way the wm dock does things is it reparents the window with XEmbed,
>not sure if that would work for you or not

>On Wednesday 11 July 2007 09:40:47 gasol wrote:
>>* Hello
*>>*
*>>* I'm writing a compiz plugin that mimics the WindowMaker dock, but instead
*>>* just being in 2d, I have cubes where icons and dockapps (actually any
*>>* application) are rendered too.
*>>*
*>>* Now I'm wondering how can i hide the "real windows" that i dock and keep
*>>* the decorator from drawing decorations on them?
*>>* Since i need to get damage-events on the windows i assume i cant just unmap
*>>* them either. =/
*>>* I've been looking on the scale plugin but i didn't find anything there that
*>>* helped me.
*>>*
*>>* Currently the docked apps are rendered both to the screen and my dock! Here
*>>* is a screenshot of the problem:
*>*> http://arlong-park.mine.nu/dock3.png
*>>*
*>>* atm I'm just using the  drawWindow function from the window, after i have
*>>* scaled and rotated it.
*>>*
*>>* The second thing I'm wondering about is there any way to automagically
*>>* forward the X events to the docked apps or do I have to write that code
*>>* myself?
*>>*
*>>*
*>>* //Håkan*