[compiz] DBus question

Gerd Kohlberger lowfi at chello.at
Sat Jul 14 12:23:19 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm working on a mouse gesture application which among other things can
trigger compiz actions over dbus and it's a little inconvenient to have
to append the root xid to every 'activate' method call.

Is there a reason why the 'root' argument can't be handled internally by
the dbus plugin? The only thing I can think of is a setup with more than
1 screen, which would have more than 1 root window. Right? If that's the
case, could the argument be changed to something like string:'screen'
int32:0, which is much less cryptic and wouldn't need constructions
like: xwininfo -root | grep id: | awk '{ print $4 }'

The reason I'm asking is I would like to ship the app with some default
gestures for compiz, but I have to somehow work around the fact that the
id will be different on every machine.

Regards,
Gerd.