[compiz] F8 desktop features

Danny Baumann dannybaumann at web.de
Mon Jul 30 22:37:17 PDT 2007

Hi,

> ccs has taken a different approach and is afaik an abstraction layer on
> top of the configuration system provided by compiz core. It has its own
> backend interface that allows different storage systems to be used. It
> provides an API for which applications like ccsm can written without
> direct access to a specific storage backend. I think that only a
> gtk-based settings manager is available today but it's fairly complete.
> There's probably hundreds of people on this list who knows more about
> ccs than me and I'm sure they'll jump in if you have any questions.

This explanation was exactly correct. CCS intends to separate the settings
manager from the used storage system. Currently there are three backends
(INI/Flat-File - Gconf - Kconfig), but more backends could be written if
there is interest for them.

The only things I'd like to add are the settings profiles support and the DE
integration feature.
Profile support can be used to write a "simple UI" settings manager that
only switches between profiles with some sort of slider.
DE integration, if enabled, integrates Metacity (Gconf backend) / Kwin
(Kconfig backend) settings wherever possible.

We definitely need more settings managers, especially a simple one and a
Qt/KDE one, but no one had time to write them yet, especially as the focus
was to get one settings manager implemented right first. However, in Beryl
both a simple settings manager and a Qt one were present, so if anyone is
interested in writing one, there's a starting point.

Regards,

Danny