[compiz] Strange behaviour in move plugin

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Wed May 2 08:22:46 PDT 2007

David Reveman wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 18:55 +0200, Bellegarde Cedric wrote:
>
>> One of the two last commit to move plugin make windows movements really
>> strange and cpu usage really intensive...
>>

> Strange in what way?
>
> One of the changes that was made is that the server side window position
> is now updated after each motion event. This shouldn't really affect
> performance by itself but the application, some pager or some other
> application might be doing something performance sensitive each time the
> position changes.
>
> I know that both gwd and kwd are doing a bunch of unnecessary work each
> time the position changes and I'll fix that sometime soon.
>
> There might always be applications that are doing a lot of unnecessary
> work each time the window position changes so having support for only
> updating the server-side position when we're finished moving a window is
> useful and I'll add that back to the move plugin later in a more
> appropriate way. The old way it was done was bad.

I have been looking at this a bit more (just at reproducing it) and I
have noticed some strange effects.

I do not think its a problem with the move plugin or the toolkits, it
seems related to the decorators.

If I reload compiz from a terminal and then shake that terminal the
movement is fluid and smooth.  I notice that the kwd buttons go
missing as well.  When I click to another window the decorator buttons
reappear and movement only updates when I pause the mouse
movement (ie. I see the horrible jerkyness).

I have seen the decorator lose buttons before so it looks like this
problem is actually a combination of a couple of changes, but
possibly related to that.

Does this sound reasonable?

Sorry, I forgot to copy the list on this one, I notice that killing
kwd fixes the problem, can anyone else see this?