[compiz] state plugin

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Fri May 18 09:41:12 PDT 2007

Kresimir Kukulj wrote:
> Mike Dransfield wrote:
>> Kresimir Kukulj wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I saw that Mike Dransfield tried to port 'state' plugin from beryl.
>>>
>>> What does it do? It should be able to place windows, based on name,
>>> class etc., to specific viewports. I recently converted to compiz
>>> window manager from WindowMaker (used it for 8 years), and I miss
>>> automatic 'pinning' of specific windows to particular workspace (or
>>> viewport in this case).
>>>
>>> Mike's old port can be found here:
>>> http://www.anykeysoftware.co.uk/compiz/plugins/state.tar.gz
>>>

>> I have updated this now and it should work with current git.
>>
>>> This is a bit old and does not use new plugin system for options
>>> (metadata). I am tyring to see if it could be tweaked to new plugin
>>> infrastructure, but it is not trivial (or at least not for me :)).
>>>

>> The whole state plugin is being replaced by the new advanced
>> window matching as well as the winrules plugin.  Winrules does
>> not support viewports yet so I have updated this for you.
>>
>> This plugin will almost certainly be removed at some point.
>
> Thanks, I tried it but plugin has no properties (I ticked checkbox in
> ccs-settings).
> I see in tarball you have schema file but no xml. Is that problem ?
> I use ccp (ccs) as backend, not gconf. Is that my problem?

Yes, and yes :)

If you want to use ccs-settings then you will need to make an xml
file with the options in it.

> What is the default/preffered backend ?
>
> ini, gconf or ccs ?

Depends on who you ask ;)

The default is gconf, preferred depends on requirements and
taste.  I personally prefer ini because its much easier to just
edit a textfile than click click click (for me anyway).  If you use
ini or gconf then you will be able to set the options without the
xml file.

> If winrules will get viewport placement support soon (relatively),
> dont waste time fixing this old plugin (state) just for me.

It was a hatchet job, I would not be too grateful ;)

Viewport placement could probably be added to the place plugin
and it would work well with the other placement modes.

> Also, nice feature of old beryl's plugin (window states) is so user
> can position windows (top-left, bootom-right ... etc) WHERE they
> should be on particular viewport. This together with viewport
> placement will provide that windows stay on correct desktops and
> desired location in viewport on restart. That would be great! Thanks
> for your effort.

I think winrules does this, otherwise place would be the
obvious plugin for it.

> And a small question, I use cube, and use keyboard shortcuts to
> directly switch to desired viewport. Cube is rotated and just when it
> is finished rotating it does little left/right setting movement. Can
> that be turned off ? I would like switching to be as fast as possible.
> Tried to accelerate settings but if switching from viewport 7 to 2
> cube must rotate a longer distance and settling (small left/right
> oscillating) effect is very noticable.

Try adjusting the timestep options, they generally affect
the springyness of action movements.  I think you need to
make the value smaller.

> And finally, is there a way to avoid NVIDIA black bug ? I know that
> this is a driver problem (some out of memory condition in driver) but
> is there a workaround ? From old beryl forums this combination
> prevented black windows:
> Don't use COW
> Force AIXGL
> XGL binding
> XGL rendering
> That options are from beryl-manager (under advanced beryl options).
> Don't know why that combinations prevents black bug but it does.
> I did not see noticable performance drop using that combination of
> settings.
> Any suggestion would be welcome.

Those options look like they just set the server that compiz
is running on.  The COW option is now gone.  Do you use AIGLX?

I have not heard of any workarounds for the black window bug.