[compiz] compiz run on DISPLAY :2 error: No composite extension

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Sat May 19 10:31:49 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 17:00 +0800, Zhu, Jack wrote:
> I can enable compiz on default DISPLAY :0  on gnome on FC6,  all
> features are OK, but when I set up a DISPLAY :2 with Xnest,  try to
> run compiz in DISPLAY :2, fail,
>
> Error info:
>

> compiz: No composite extension
>

> I check compiz source code:
>
> if (!XQueryExtension (dpy,
>
>                               COMPOSITE_NAME,
>
>                               &d->compositeOpcode,
>
>                               &d->compositeEvent,
>
>                               &d->compositeError))
>
>     {
>
>          fprintf (stderr, "%s: No composite extension\n",
> programName);
>
>          return FALSE;
>
> }
>

> NAME
>
>        XQueryExtension, XListExtensions, XFreeExtensionList - list
> available extensions
>
> ARGUMENTS
>
>        display   Specifies the connection to the X server.
>
>        name      Specifies the extension name.
>
> DESCRIPTION
>
>        The  XQueryExtension  function  determines  if  the  named
> extension is present.  If the extension is not
>
>        present, XQueryExtension returns False;  otherwise,  it
> returns  True.   If  the  extension  is  present,
>
>        XQueryExtension  returns  the major opcode for the extension to
> major_opcode_return; otherwise, it returns
>
>        zero.
>

> who can help me ?

Xnest simply doesn't support the composite extension that is required to
run compiz. Compiz is a compositing window manager and none of the
effects that compiz plugins provide could be implemented without this X
server extension.

You can use Xgl if you want to run an X server in a window that support
all the extensions required by compiz.

- David