No subject

Fri Oct 19 08:15:12 PDT 2007

Its really a matter of developing an intuitive method of interaction with t=
he environment.  Its very feasible and something that is easily realised.  =
The methods are tried and tested in games systems, 3D editors and even 3D f=
ile managers.  Thus, there are no new technical aspects, its merely the pac=
kaging of those features into a desktop interface.
=20
The business applications can be helpful if used properly, however, the big=
gest usage will be the domestic home user.  The concept of a public desktop=
 space (or virtual room), that can be shared across the Internet, will add =
to social networking model.  It will also lead to new paradigms in terms of=
 web interaction, navigation and information exchange.
=20
One other major benefit will be the promotion of both X and the Linux platf=
orm in general.  To use these new features, end user's Operating Systems wi=
ll need to be compatible with X.  Whilst I'm sure limited interfaces could =
be designed for Windows desktops, it will function a lot better as a native=
 Linux user.
=20
There is a chance here to leave the competing Operating Systems for dust an=
d to force their hand in terms of inter-operability.Carpe diem.

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:02:47 -0400From: vperetokin at gmail.comTo: markmcca=
rron_itt at hotmail.comSubject: Re: [compiz] Feature RequestCC: srhlefty at gmail=
.com; compiz at lists.freedesktop.orgI had a similar idea, but I think they sa=
id it wasn't too feasible much on the forums.Why do you capitalize "window"=
 though?I really like your business applications for this - they really do =
sound very good. This'll be excellent.=20
On 10/19/07, Mark McCarron <markmccarron_itt at hotmail.com> wrote:=20

Good questions.  I have a few suggestions that may help, I'm sure the Compi=
z developers will be able to structure the controls much better.  So, take =
this as a basis from which to begin. There would be two basic modes, the fi=
rst mode would be free space, that is, your mouse guides you through the de=
sktop space.  Upon selecting a window, you would enter the second mode, the=
 mouse controls would now act upon the selected Window.  A simple left-clic=
k in free space would return the user to the first mode.  I would expect th=
e user to be able walk around the environment similar to any FPS.  Movement=
 can either be provided by a mouse click providing acceleration, or via key=
board controls again similar to any FPS. As windows are objects, perhaps th=
ey should have a small control on the border of the windows that can be man=
ipulated by the mouse.  This control would allow the user to alter each of =
dimensions independently.  A small clickable X,Y,Z object would work well. =
 This control could be expanded to allow for rotation and scaling of the ob=
ject.  A quick switch utility is something that is definitely required.  Wh=
ilst the freedom aspect is good, the desktop must provide a productive envi=
ronment.  I like the wall utility too, I find it very handy.  I would expec=
t this to look at the space from above and provide the user with a sense of=
 where each window is located as well as a bitmap preview.  There should al=
so be support for the direct loading and rendering of meshes.  This is both=
 for decoration and as a tool for work environments. Collaborative design w=
ork, even across multiple vendors, would become very easy.  Architects woul=
d be able to work on designs with real-time client input, car designers wou=
ld be able to work as team, etc.  I'm not suggesting a full editing environ=
ment, just a basic viewer that supports major formats.  =20

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:33:58 -0700From: srhlefty at gmail.comTo: markmccarr=
on_itt at hotmail.com; compiz at lists.freedesktop.orgSubject: Re: [compiz] Featu=
re Request=20
This is an interesting idea.  How would the user control how the windows mo=
ve in the depth dimension?  Would the user actually "walk" around such a sp=
ace?  With such a large space, how would one get to a particular window qui=
ckly, i.e. is there still a switcher?A 2D slice of such a space reminds me =
a lot of the current "Wall" plugin that compiz has, and is one of my favori=
tes.
On 10/18/07, Mark McCarron <markmccarron_itt at hotmail.com> wrote:=20

Hi Guys, I have been thinking of a new style of interface that could be add=
ed to Compiz.  Essentially, rather than having a desktop, the user would be=
 presented with a space in which to work.  This space would be several mete=
rs wide in real terms and the user could navigate the space in a similar fa=
shion to a 3D game.  Windows could be grabbed and thrown throughout the spa=
ce, providing a very large workspace.  This would also allow the user to ph=
ysically arrange Windows in the space according to particular tasks or func=
tions.  A simple double-click of a Window would cause it to snap into full =
2D view were the application can be worked upon.  The concept of multiple d=
esktops, could be implemented as multiple spaces.  Given the network transp=
arency of X, it would also allow for the concept of a public space.  A publ=
ic space would be a desktop that is shared either across a LAN or Internet.=
  This has both business and personal applications.  In terms of business, =
it can be used for presentations, reviewing designs, etc.  In terms of pers=
onal use, it would open a new area to social networking, desktop surfing.  =
End users could store images, videos and a range of interactive items that =
members of the public can view or download.  I realise that this can prove =
to be a bandwidth hog, but like everything in computer world, this will onl=
y improve with time and become less of an issue.=20

Do you know a place like the back of your hand? Share local knowledge with =
BackOfMyHand.com_______________________________________________compiz maili=
ng listcompiz at lists.freedesktop.orghttp://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/lis=
tinfo/compiz
Feel like a local wherever you go.
http://www.backofmyhand.com=

--_01e65f57-44a1-4feb-aae9-160644f5e131_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
 than Compiz already is.&nbsp; Its really a matter of developing an intuiti=
ve method of interaction with the environment.&nbsp; Its very feasible and =
something that is easily realised.&nbsp; The methods are tried and tested i=
n games systems, 3D editors&nbsp;and even 3D file managers.&nbsp; Thus, the=
re&nbsp;are no&nbsp;new technical aspects, its merely the packaging of thos=
e features into a desktop interface.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The business applications can be helpful if used properly, however, the big=
gest usage will be the domestic home user.&nbsp; The concept of a public de=
sktop space (or virtual room), that can be shared across the Internet, will=
 add to social networking model.&nbsp; It will also lead to new paradigms&n=
bsp;in terms of&nbsp;web interaction, navigation and information exchange.<=

&nbsp;<BR>
One other major benefit will be the promotion of both X and the Linux platf=
orm in general.&nbsp; To use these new features, end user's Operating Syste=
ms will need to be compatible with X.&nbsp; Whilst I'm sure limited interfa=
ces could be designed for Windows desktops, it will function a lot better a=
s a native Linux user.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
There is a chance here to leave the competing Operating Systems for dust an=
d to force their hand in terms of inter-operability.<BR><BR>Carpe diem.<BR>=
<BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<HR id=3DEC_stopSpelling>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:02:47 -0400<BR>From: vperetokin at gmail.com<BR>To: =
markmccarron_itt at hotmail.com<BR>Subject: Re: [compiz] Feature Request<BR>CC=
: srhlefty at gmail.com; compiz at lists.freedesktop.org<BR><BR>I had a similar i=
dea, but I think they said it wasn't too feasible much on the forums.<BR><B=
R>Why do you capitalize "window" though?<BR><BR>I really like your business=
 applications for this - they really do sound very good. This'll be excelle=
nt. <BR><BR>
<DIV><SPAN class=3DEC_gmail_quote>On 10/19/07, <B class=3DEC_gmail_senderna=
me>Mark McCarron</B> &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:markmccarron_itt at hotmail.com">ma=
rkmccarron_itt at hotmail.com</A>&gt; wrote:</SPAN>=20
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3DEC_gmail_quote style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 1ex">
<DIV>Good questions.&nbsp; I have a few suggestions that may help, I'm sure=
 the Compiz developers will be able to structure the controls much better.&=
nbsp; So, take this as a basis from which to begin.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>There woul=
d be two basic modes, the first mode would be free space, that is, your mou=
se guides you through the desktop space.&nbsp; Upon selecting a window, you=
 would enter the second mode, the mouse controls would now act upon the sel=
ected Window.&nbsp; A simple left-click in free space would return the user=
 to the first mode. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>I would expect the user to be able walk a=
round the environment similar to any FPS.&nbsp; Movement can either be prov=
ided by a mouse click providing acceleration, or via keyboard controls agai=
n similar to any FPS.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>As windows are objects, perhaps they sho=
uld have a small control on the border of the windows that can be manipulat=
ed by the mouse.&nbsp; This control would allow the user to alter each of d=
imensions independently.&nbsp; A small clickable X,Y,Z object would work we=
ll.&nbsp; This control could be expanded to allow for rotation and scaling =
of the object. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>A quick switch utility is something that is de=
finitely required.&nbsp; Whilst the freedom aspect is good, the desktop mus=
t provide a productive environment.&nbsp; I like the wall utility too, I fi=
nd it very handy.&nbsp; I would expect this to look at the space from above=
 and provide the user with a sense of where each window is located as well =
as a bitmap preview. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>There should also be support for the dir=
ect loading and rendering of meshes.&nbsp; This is both for decoration and =
as a tool for work environments.&nbsp;Collaborative design work, even acros=
s multiple vendors, would become very easy.&nbsp; Architects would be able =
to work on designs with real-time client input, car designers would be able=
 to work as team, etc.&nbsp; I'm not suggesting a full editing environment,=
 just a basic viewer that supports major formats. <BR>&nbsp;<BR><BR><BR><BR=
><BR>&nbsp;<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<HR>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:33:58 -0700<BR>From: <A href=3D"mailto:srhlefty at g=
mail.com">srhlefty at gmail.com</A><BR>To: <A href=3D"mailto:markmccarron_itt@=
hotmail.com">markmccarron_itt at hotmail.com</A>; <A href=3D"mailto:compiz at lis=
ts.freedesktop.org">compiz at lists.freedesktop.org</A><BR>Subject: Re: [compi=
z] Feature Request=20
<DIV><SPAN class=3DEC_e id=3DEC_q_115b6a8ea42fb95d_1><BR><BR>This is an int=
eresting idea.&nbsp; How would the user control how the windows move in the=
 depth dimension?&nbsp; Would the user actually "walk" around such a space?=
&nbsp; With such a large space, how would one get to a particular window qu=
ickly, i.e. is there still a switcher?<BR><BR>A 2D slice of such a space re=
minds me a lot of the current "Wall" plugin that compiz has, and is one of =
my favorites.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV><SPAN>On 10/18/07, <B>Mark McCarron</B> &lt;<A href=3D"mailto:markmcca=
rron_itt at hotmail.com">markmccarron_itt at hotmail.com</A>&gt; wrote:</SPAN>=20
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 1ex">
<DIV>Hi Guys,<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I have been thinking of a new style of interface=
 that could be added to Compiz.&nbsp; Essentially, rather than having a des=
ktop, the user would be presented with a space in which to work.&nbsp; This=
 space would be several meters wide in real terms and the user could naviga=
te the space in a similar fashion to a 3D game. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>Windows could=
 be grabbed and thrown throughout the space, providing a very large workspa=
ce.&nbsp; This would also allow the user to physically arrange Windows in t=
he space according to particular tasks or functions.&nbsp; A simple double-=
click of a Window would cause it to snap into full 2D view were the applica=
tion can be worked upon. <BR>&nbsp;<BR>The concept of multiple desktops, co=
uld be implemented as multiple spaces.&nbsp; Given the network transparency=
 of X, it would also allow for the concept of a public space.&nbsp; A publi=
c space would be a desktop that is shared either across a LAN or Internet.&=
nbsp; This has both business and personal applications.&nbsp; In terms of b=
usiness, it can be used for presentations, reviewing designs, etc.&nbsp; In=
 terms of personal use, it would open a new area to social networking, desk=
top surfing.&nbsp; End users could store images, videos and a range of inte=
ractive items that members of the public can view or download. <BR>&nbsp;<B=
R>I realise that this can prove to be a bandwidth hog, but like everything =
in&nbsp;computer world, this will only improve with time and become less of=
 an issue.&nbsp;<BR><SPAN><BR>
<HR>
The next generation of MSN Hotmail has arrived - <A href=3D"http://www.newh=
otmail.co.uk/" target=3D_blank>Windows Live Hotmail</A></SPAN></DIV><SPAN><=
g list<BR><A href=3D"mailto:compiz at lists.freedesktop.org">compiz at lists.free=
iz</A><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><BR></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<HR>
Do you know a place like the back of your hand? Share local knowledge with =
<A href=3D"http://www.backofmyhand.com/" target=3D_blank>BackOfMyHand.com</=
edesktop.org</A><BR><A href=3D"http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinf=