[compiz] memory leak bug under ubuntu gutsy w/ nvidia

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Mon Oct 22 14:10:02 PDT 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007 09:23 pm, Matt Price wrote:
> * PGP Signed by an unknown key
>
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 13:59 -0500, Travis Watkins wrote:
> > On 10/19/07, Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> > > hi there,
> > >
> > > a number of users of ubuntu gutsy with nvidia cards are experiencing a
> > > serious memory leak under compiz.  This leak essentially renders compiz
> > > unusable for us.  Gutsy ships with a compiz versioned at 0.6.0
> > > +git20071008 , which I imagine isn't that different from the current
> > > compiz, and with the current 100.14.19 nvidia driver running under a
> > > 2.6.22 kernel.  I'm just wondering whether any non-ubuntu users are
> > > seeing this same problem, and whether anyone on this list has
> > > suggestions for tracking down the bug source.  At first it seemed that
> > > the bug might be specific to some plugin, but that doesn't seem to be
> > > the case.
> > >
> > > The ubuntu bug report is at :
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz-fusion-plugins-main/+b
> > >ug/151168
> > >
> > > with at least one duplicate at:
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/154210
> > >
> > >   thanks for the help,
> > >
> > > matt
> >
> > It's the problem with the nvidia driver. Instead of showing you a
> > black window when it runs out of memory it sticks the texture in the
> > process asking for it and never frees it. This is our latest guess,
> > anyway.
>
> hey travis, is there a way of getting this bug report back to nvidia?  i
> tried to file a bug but somewhat predictably got no response.

Hi Matt,

I've entered this bug into our system.  I monitor the compiz list for
nvidia-related compiz issues.  However, the best way for end-users to get our
attention is on the nvnews.net forums which many employees monitor.  Next
best would be the bug submission email address listed in the driver release
notes.  Note that there is heavy traffic on both of these and only a handful
of people reading them.  Give us a few weeks to respond before assuming your
request was lost.  If you don't hear anything, feel free to ping us again.

Thanks,
-James Jones

nvpublic