[compiz] Many thanks for compiz-0.7.6, but 1 box now experiences WSOD

Danny Baumann dannybaumann at web.de
Wed Jun 4 22:13:16 PDT 2008

Hi,

> 	Thanks for a great compiz-0.7.6. The cylinder takes a little warming up to,
> but is really cool. Of all the boxes I have updated, I have one that now
> experiences the White Screen of Death (WSOD) when compiz is started. Killing X
> with ctrl+alt+backspace or ssh from remote and kill compiz and emerald is the
> only way out.
>
> 	The box was working fine with fglrx_7_1_0_SUSE103-8.476-1 and compiz-0.7.4.
> After update to compiz-0.7.6., the black white cube appears. I have updated the
> fglrx driver to 8.493-1, but the same white cube appears.
>
> 	Compiz starts, but just before, or during the splash screen, the desktop turns
> white.
>
> 	What do you suggest I check? Is there anything I should change in the
> Default.ini file? Thanks for your help.

A white screen is an almost sure sign of broken / improperly installed
drivers. Most likely, the wrong libGL is used by Compiz (the Mesa one,
not the FGLRX one), so that binding the pixmaps to textures fails.

I don't know how to solve that for OpenSuse, but that's the direction I
would search in.

Regards,

Danny