[compiz] Howto uninstall compiz from Kubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 01:01:01 PDT 2008

2008/6/21 Phlip <phlip2005 at gmail.com>:
> Compiz:
> A colleague tempted me with compiz eye candy, and I tried it.
> Sorry, but many features were too far outside my usability comfort zone:
>  - lazy mouse (in /this/ day and age???)

Lazy? Could you be more descriptive? I don't understand how an
inanimate object (other than a regex) could be lazy.

>  - The Run window did not reliably pop up

I also had this problem on Kubuntu. Pressing Ctrl-F2 twice was
necessary. I don't remember at what point it went away, but you might
want to update you system.

>  - minimize-all-windows turned everything black

Can't help you here.

> Some of those items were configurable. Some required multiple, diverse
> reconfigurations to fix. I couldn't fix the last one.
> And I could not find a simple "off" button among compizconfig-settings-manager's
>  confusingly-named options.

The checkmark on the side is the off button. I also hate ccsm.

>   sudo aptitude remove compizconfig-settings-manager
> (hey Ubuntu why is that a separate item)?

Because Ubuntu has a separate, stripped down version as standard.

>   sudo aptitude remove compiz-core
> And the /coup de grace/:
>   sudo aptitude reinstall kwin
> I still don't know if that reinstalled the Kubuntu-standard popup on Alt+Tab.

For one thing, you could have done all that on one line:
$ sudo aptitude remove compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-core compiz-kde

For another, it appears to me that you've answered your own question.
Or did I miss something?

Dotan Cohen

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?