[compiz] No shutdown option in KDE with Compiz-Fusion

Erkin Bahceci erkinbah at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 19:40:19 PST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>  > I have installed Compiz-Fusion on several Ubuntu machines, all
>  > different hardware, with KDE. In all of them, the option to shutdown
>  > or reset the computer is absent from the KDE logout buttons when
>  > running Compiz-Fusion. I have searched google and see that others have
>  > this problem, but I do not see a solution. Is there a known solution
>  > to this condition?
>
>  I suspect this is because you are running under Xgl right?
>
>  KDE probably detects that it's not the only X server running and assumes
>  that that could be another user and so does not give you the option to
>  shutdown.
>
>  Just a rough idea... not confirmed.
>
>  Col

I used to have that problem. If you are using Xgl, the information
here might help:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty/GettingStarted#Install_Beryl_using_proprietary_FGLRX_drivers_from_ATI

In short, to fix that problem with Xgl (on display :1), something like
this should be run (probably before kde/gnome session startup):
  cookie="$(xauth -i nextract - :0 | cut -d ' ' -f 9)"
  xauth -i add :1 . "$cookie"

- Erkin