[compiz] No shutdown option in KDE with Compiz-Fusion

Pierpaolo Follia pfollia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 04:12:23 PDT 2008

Uhm, I don't know about your video card, but I just installed the
latest ATI proprietary driver and adding these two lines to my
xorg.conf seems good:

Option         "Textured2D" "on"
Option         "TexturedXrender" "on"

The performance under XGL are very poor, but using X they are ok.
Thanks to Karthik Ramgopal for this hint!

Regards,
Pierpaolo

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/2008, Erkin Bahceci <erkinbah at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > I used to have that problem. If you are using Xgl, the information
>  >  here might help:
>  >
>  >  http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty/GettingStarted#Install_Beryl_using_proprietary_FGLRX_drivers_from_ATI
>  >
>  >  In short, to fix that problem with Xgl (on display :1), something like
>  >  this should be run (probably before kde/gnome session startup):
>  >   cookie="$(xauth -i nextract - :0 | cut -d ' ' -f 9)"
>  >   xauth -i add :1 . "$cookie"
>  >

>  Thanks. I added the lines to /usr/local/bin/startxgl which now looks like this:
>  #!/bin/sh
>  Xgl -fullscreen :1 -ac -br -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer &
>  sleep 4
>  export DISPLAY=:1
>
> cookie="$(xauth -i nextract - :0 | cut -d ' ' -f 9)"
>  xauth -i add :1 . "$cookie"
>  exec startkde
>
>  However, I still don't have the buttons. If it is because of XGL, then
>  would I be better off running without XGL? I have the ATI X1400 in
>  this laptop, and I have heard that the proprietary drivers now support
>  Compiz-Fusion without XGL, but the performance is very bad. Does
>  anyone know more about the issue?
>
>  Thanks.
>

>  Dotan Cohen
>
>  http://what-is-what.com
>  http://gibberish.co.il
>  א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
>  A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>  Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Pierpaolo Follia
http://madchicken.altervista.org/tech