[compiz] Java animations, Google Earth flashing with Compiz enabled

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:01:12 PDT 2008

2008/5/14 Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>:
> On May 03, 08 20:48:38 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Adam, where can I read about XGL and AIGLX in a way that someone who
>> is not a CS major would understand? I make an effort to understand how
>> things work, and I know to STFW and RTFM but I cannot find entry level
>> information. Thanks, and sorry to ask the basic silly question, but
>> I'm having a hard time finding info on my own.
>
> I would suggest reading some of my articles on http://www.mshopf.de/pub.html
>
> I think the LinuxTag article
>  http://www.vis.uni-stuttgart.de/~hopf/pub/LinuxTag2007_compiz_NextGenerationDesktop_Paper.pdf
>
> is probably the most complete. Don't get desperate when you see Figure 3,
> though ;-)  It's not completely necessary for understanding.

Thank you, Matthias. The "Compiz: The Next Generation Desktop" is a
great read. I initially intended to skim it for now, but it was so
well written that I read all 9 pages before I realized what had
happened. Not only was it informative, but it was somewhat
entertaining and intriguing.

I feel that I have a much firmer grasp of the concepts of XGL, AIGLX,
and the rest of the alphabet soup. The fact that you explain it as a
history make it much easier to understand and grasp why certain
technologies were used, and what problems they were trying to solve. I
intend to read the rest of the papers you have written. Thank you very
much.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il