[compiz] Unifying mailing lists and bug trackers

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at bohemians.org
Sun Nov 23 06:11:23 PST 2008

Excuse the cross posting, but it underlines the entire point quite nicely.

After the merge of Compiz and Beryl, we've still got two projects. That in
itself isn't a huge problem, but it's a bit problematic with regards to
mail (what list to choose?) and bug trackers.

Since we get very little traffic on these e-mail lists, I suggest we shut
down the dev@ list at lists.compiz-fusion.org and instead advice people to
use compiz at lists.freedesktop.org, as that's an older and more established
list anyway.

The only dilemma with regards to mail is that we have the bugtracker
sending us bugs to the list, something that I, at least, find useful. I've
been pondering this for a few days, and the only reasonably sane conclusion
that I can find is that we keep dev at l.c-f.o alive for bug-list but
otherwise migrate to fd.o.

As for bug trackers, I think the obvious choice is to deprecate the fd.o
bug tracker. We have needs that are not the same as the majority of
freedesktop.org, and we already have bugs.opencompositing.org working quite
well. We can easily add plugins, modify components and basically administer
it, without interfering with freedesktop.org (And our fd.o bug tracking
component is under X.org which makes little sense today).

Comments? Guillaume particularly, since you're our friendly neighbourhood
sysadmin at opencompositing.

- Kristian