[compiz] Preventing near-Maximize windows

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 12:24:25 PDT 2008

On Kubuntu 8.04 with Compiz 0.7.4 I have the problem where many
applications (such as the Thunderbird compose window) open in
near-Maximize, while other applications behind them are open in
Maximize. For example, I will have a Thunderbird window maximized, and
when I open a compose window it _looks_ maximized however it is a few
pixels short of being maximized.

The problem is that when I try to close the compose window with the X
icon in the upper corner, I do so by bringing the mouse to the corner
of the screen. The windows manager interprets this as the window
underneath, because the current window is not _really_ fullscreen, and
thus the wrong windows gets closed.

How can I prevent this situation? Ideally, any window within 20 pixels
of the corner would snap to that corner. I tried to enable the Snap
Windows plugin, but it complains that Wobbly Windows provides
"edgeresistance" which interferes. I open the "Wobbly Windows" and I
do not see edgeresistance, however, I do have a Snap Windows feature
there. However, the only option to Snap Windows in Wobbly Windows is
the keyboard shortcut configuration, nothing more. So have can I
confige the snap windows?

Thanks in advance.

--
Dotan Cohen