[compiz] non-1 vertical virtual size

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Aug 5 11:54:08 PDT 2009

For Expo purposes (among others), I like my vertical virtual size to be
more than 1 (typically 2).

But I bump into several problems with that:
- the panel's "worspace switcher applet" doesn't seem to understand it
  right:
  - if I tell it to "show all workspaces in 1 row", then my
    6 workspaces (3x2) get displayed correctly, but clicking on them
    only lets me move left/right (e.g. if I'm at the left-top, click on
    the right-bottom workspace gets me to the right-top workspace).
  - if I tell it to "show all workspaces in 2 rows", then it splits
    the box horizontally into 2 parts, the top-half showing my
    6 workspaces (3x2) and the bottom-half empty.
  Not sure if the prolem is on the side of Compiz or the workspace
  switcher applet, but it seems they do not understand each other.

- the cube-rotate doesn't let me move up/down by bumping the pointer
  (or a window) into the top/bottom.  I understand the argument that
  "this is a cube, so it doesn't make sense", but really all it means is
  that we need a "rotate left/right" cube and a "rotate up/down" cube.
  In the mean time of course I use the "Desktop Wall" plugin instead.

-- Stefan