[compiz] 8.2 behaving weird on openSuSE 10.3 & 11.0

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:47:14 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 07:01:30 pm you wrote:
> Apologies,
>
> Forwarding to the list.
>
> PS. This list is deprecated. Please use the Compiz Community list
> instead (comm at lists.compiz.org IIRC)

<snip>
> > --
> > Sam Spilsbury

Thanks Sam,

	I found a list at community at lists.compiz-fusion.org, is that the correct one
or just another stray? Also FYI, the "Team" link on the compiz site goes to
404. (Now I know the shake-up wasn't that bad...:-) I'll test with blur and
see if the nvidia downclocking "feature" is catching me when I get to the
office.

	That seems likely though. On my Arch Linux box where 8.2 works great, I have
an 8800 GT that seems stuck in full-power mode. If I shut the box down and let
it cool for a few hours, then restart, card fan speed is fine for a few hours,
then the fan speed goes back through the roof. Temps are not the problem. CPU
temps never get above 38 deg. C, drive temps are:

05:40 archangel:~> hdtemp
/dev/sda: ST3500630AS: 35°C
/dev/sdc: ST3500630AS: 40°C
/dev/sdb: ST3750330AS: 37°C
/dev/sdd: ST3750330AS: 38°C

GPU temp reports 67 deg C, and case ambient (reported by the nvidia card is at
50 c.)  My guess says it looks like an nvidia driver temp reporting issue
there. But there isn't a bit of delay in compiz and glxgears frame rates show
greater than 10K fps.

	If on opensuse downclocking *is* the case, "Irony" wins. It will be a case of
(1) With compiz, my card downclocks on opensuse until it is asleep, (2)
without opensuse, it sounds like a jet engine preparing for takeoff. And with
ATI, if downclocking doesn't work, you can fry eggs on my laptop's palm rest.
Go figure... (I wish they would just opensource the drivers so competent
programmers could fix the mess.)

	Thanks for your help. You guys keep up the great work. 8.2 is really a fine
piece of code. I can't wait until 9 beta.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC