[compiz] The future of Compiz

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 21:25:10 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM, imnotpc <imnotpc at ubaight.com> wrote:
> Well, it seems this thread didn't get as much feedback as I thought it might,
> but we need to keep moving forward. I haven't forgotten about providing an
> outline of an administrative/organizational structure for the community. I've
> been busy selling my business and haven't had much time to spend on this, but
> I will present some thoughts shortly.

OK. Cheers for bumping this thread up.

I don't know what has happened to Kristian, he said he would present
to us some kind of roadmap but has disappeared off the face of the map
in terms of IRC and mail.

Don't let that put off what you are doing, anything to get the
community started is a good thing, even if it would be in conflict
with what KristianL might propose later.

> I have also been in contact with JP and others from Novell about
> compiz/compiz-fusion and Novell's interest in and support for the project,
> and they remain very interested and supportive of us. I'll be talking with
> David, JP, and a few others shortly about ways they can help to pull the
> community together. If you have any specific areas where you think they can
> help us, let me know and I'll bring it up.

A few requests:

 * Bit more explanation to the community about the NOMAD branch, why
it was implemented, how it has been implemented and why it was
implemented the way it was
 * Some kind of comment on compiz++. Compiz++ was a big move by Danny
and Dennis and implements a lot of stuff that David was looking to do
in the object-framework branch (but in c++). The way it has been
architectured also completely breaks the method used for remote access
and display in the NOMAD branch. Some discussion is really necessary
here to avoid any forks (as it is in Novell's interest to develop
NOMAD but our own to have a better core).
 * Potential merger of the compiz-fusion and compiz projects. There is
really no point in having two separate projects and it is more often
counterproductive than not. Some features of compiz, including plane,
obs and zoom are being deprecated and replaced with -fusion
components.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam Spilsbury