[compiz] Compositing Manager Crash over XDMCP on .8.2.1 on Archlinux?

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Fri May 1 17:50:30 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:49 AM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Danny, Kristian, All,
>
>        First let me tell you guys whatever you are doing with compiz, keep it up!
> It's looking great!
>
>        I have a new error on ArchLinux when running compiz 0.8.2.1 that I have never
> seen before. I installed Archlinux on 2 boxes to check it out. One on a x86_64
> box with the nvidia driver (no problems there) and one on an i686 box with
> onboard intel video.
>
>        When connecting over XDMCP to the x86_64 box, there is no problem at all (I
> haven't tried compiz or compositing over xdmcp, but I get no error). On the
> i686 box, same setup, I get an error that says "Compositing Manger Crashed
> twice in... seconds disabling.." See:
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/ksplash-compositing-crash.i686.png

That looks like the KWin compositor crashing or not starting - I've
never seen that error message in KDE with compiz.

My guess is that Composite is not supported over XDMCP. Are you sure
it worked before with previous compiz versions?

If you can, enable the crashhandler plugin and provide us with a
backtrace with one of it's logs. Thanks.

>        I'm just guessing, but the only thought I had was it must be something related
> to Nomad, so I thought I would pass it along and offer to run any additional
> tests, etc.. that you guys might want to see off the Arch box in case it would
> help.

NOMAD hasn't been merged in yet.

>        Let me know, Thanks.
>
> P.S. Hope some of the ripples in the compiz pond have settled. Growth is always
> difficult, but you guys have a great thing going here, keep the faith!

We're getting there ;-)

> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> Rankin Law Firm, PLLC