[compiz] [radeonhd] Re: Will radeon or radeonhd work with compiz?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon May 11 09:34:29 PDT 2009

On May 09, 09 02:40:29 -0500, David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. wrote:
> 	Man this was strange?? Is the default config distro specific or is it a
> compiz generic issues that could be tweaked here?

Could be that archlinux has an older compiz - the default to e.g. load a
window decorator isn't that new. Or the default paths are wrong, or...

> 	Only other strange issues for compiz with the radeonhd driver is that when I
> run glxgears, the background for the gears is completely transparent (100%
> gone). Additionally, shift switcher does not erase the original windows
> before drawing the shift switch windows (the gradient draws correctly though)
> See:

This doesn't look like it's radeonhd related - more like an issue in the
Mesa driver. There are only few people working on Mesa, and given the
complexity of an OpenGL driver...

> 	Only real downside so far with the radeonhd driver is the frame-rates in
> glxgears is about 1/5 what it was with the fglrx driver (Current: 188 FPS,
> w/fglrx: 1000 FPS). But the desktop effects work smoothly, etc.. The only
> noticeable lag is with rotate cube and on window resize, but it isn't that
> bad either.

So you see that glxgears is not a benchmark. Fullstop.
But seriously, the open source driver is certainly not fast ATM. E.g.
it's lacking tiling - that is something yet to be implemented in radeonhd.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de