[compiz] Problems with _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS and screen refreshing

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Mon May 18 15:40:48 PDT 2009

re, all...

I tried to create an account on bugs.opencompositing.org to report this, but
I never got an e-mail back from the account-creation process. Is this the
right URI to be reporting bugs for Compiz?

Anyway, I've found a couple of bugs that affect applications that use the
_NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS EWMH hint. I believe these are regressions since
Compiz 0.8.0, but am not 100% sure. So, I've posted a simple program here:
http://pastebin.ca/1426916 that demonstrates the following problems:

1) When an application requests a topology change via
   _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS, Compiz does honor the topology change, but
it
   does not refresh any monitor that has changed since the last
   _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS topology. If the application requests to
   change from fullscreening monitor 1 to cover both monitors 1 and 2, the
   window is resized and can still be interacted with, but the display still
   shows a frozen image of what was previously on the second monitor, for
   example.

2) When a window has fullscreened and used _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS, if
   any tooltips are used in that window (as this simple application does),
   Compiz will cause the screen to flash repeatedly until the user stops
   hovering over the originating widget and the tooltip goes away. This can
   be demonstrated in this simple application by hovering over the button in
   the window. As an interesting aside, when Compiz causes the screen to
   flash, it will refresh the monitors that were previously stale from #1
   above.

Can someone look into this please? And again, I'd really like to file a bug
for this, but I can't seem to get an account created. =:(

Also, all testing for this was done on Ubuntu 9.04 and the Compiz packages
that it ships with.

TIA! =:)

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-