[compiz] Compiz 8.6 - suse 11.0 1-2 rows pixilation at top of screen on kbd rotate

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue May 18 14:12:25 PDT 2010

Listmates,

	This is no biggie, 8.6 is working well so far. However, I do notice 1-2 lines
of pixelization at the top of the screen on keyboard rotate. I know this hasn't
been there since the 0.5.6-0.6 days when compiz was first released for opensuse
years ago. It wasn't there up through 8.2. The gpu is the radeon X1200 using the
fglrx-legacy driver.

	Looking at the screenshot it actually looks like it is a pixelization issue
with the top edge of the cylinder.  Here is a screenshot. Look around the top
rim of the cylinder, you can see mini white spots or triangles around the top edge:

(46k)
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/ss/compiz/topPixelation-crop.jpg

	Also, initial looks at 8.6 it works great. The only issue I've stumbled on yet
is the initial mouse rotate speed with 'Timestep = 1.0000'. If I set Timestep =
1.8, the old rotate speed is back, but it causes the over-rotation on keyboard
rotate to next/previous side. A compromise value of Timestep = 1.2000 seem to
work okay. Rotation is a bit slow, but you get 1-revolution with normal
left/right mouse range of movement and the over-rotation on keyboard rotate
isn't that noticeable. I had fits with the over-rotation and then 'wiggle' into
place on keyboard rotate in 8.2. This is MUCH better, but could use a bit of
tweaking. I'll play with the settings a bit more and see if I can find a better
combination.

	What would really help there, would be something that tells me what the
relationships are between the setting like Timestep, speed, etc.. Does some type
of schematic for that logic exist? It has always been just a guessing game for
me in the past, not knowing how sensitive one setting is compared to another or
whether adjusting any two of the settings works to cancel what I'm trying to
achieve...

	If something like that exists, please let me know and just send a url. Also, if
I can provide any more info, also let me know. Great job guys!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC