[compiz] Compiz 8.6 on openSuSE 11.0 -- Success! But need help with a few issues.

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue May 18 22:28:04 PDT 2010

On 05/18/2010 09:49 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> The Non-Working Features (I set, then magically they unset)
>
>   Here is where I need the most help. In 8.6 there are a LOT of features/options
> that don't work. Here is a summary of what won't stay set for me. This came from
> my run-through of the settings and is probably 90% complete. Some I couldn't try
> because it would have disabled others like 'Show Desktop' and 'Fade Desktop' or
> Viewport Switcher which I don't use. I did try all but about 3-4 options. These
> were all working this morning on my box with the same hardware/software config
> in compiz 8.2:
>
>     Accessibility (non-working): Opacify, Show Mouse, (mouse polling)
>
>     Desktop (non-working): Expo  (I really miss Expo)
>
>     Effects (non-working): Analglyphs, Animations, Animations Addons, Cube 3D,
> Cube Atlantas, Snow Globe, Photowheel   (likewise -- I really miss Photowheel)
>
>     Utility (non-working): Resize Info, Scale Addons, Work Arounds
>
>     Window Management (non-working): Put, Ring Switcher, Shift Switcher, Static
> Application Switcher, Tile

Dominique, Guys,

	I have installed the same packages on my i586 laptop (Toshiba p35A - ATI 9600GT
gpu), same fglrx driver, and the above options work great. I'm beginning to
believe that my x86_64 box has a config issue that may be causing the problems
above. Specifically, under kde, the gnome-settings-daemon segfaults with:

[1273770918,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/]    The backend does not
require manual layout management - but it is provided by the application
(gnome-settings-daemon:28671): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref:
assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

[1]+  Segmentation fault /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon

but runs fine under gnome. While I did my compiz 8.6 testing under gnome, I'm
not convinced that there isn't something on my x86_64 laptop that could be
causing the compiz 8.6 modules not to stay activated. I just wish I knew enough
to troubleshoot the issue instead of throwing in the towel and reinstalling.
(I've done all the basics, created new users, etc.. it's a system wide issue)

	On the i586 laptop I just got done installing the compiz 8.6 + 8.4 packages on,
it all works -- well! So don't spend much thought on why the things won't
activate on the x86_64 box, I don't think it's compiz.

	That said, if you have any thoughts on how the gnome-settings-daemon could run
fine under gnome, but segfault when started under kde, then "throw a brother a
bone", I have pulled my hair out on this one.

	Thanks, and great job with 8.6 :-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC