[ConsoleKit] Feature request: Specify SeatID

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:30:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

> 1. Obviously "Seat<N>" names are used and assigned by ConsoleKit itself. But
> what happens when there are existing seats using the same names?
I guess we'd need to fail the call in that case.

> When I
> explicitly configure or create 'Seat9', will dynamic seat generation skip
> that ID?
Sounds reasonable, alternatively, we could add a prefix to manually
specified names.

> 2. Can  specify any object path as seat ID or must they be relative (and
> will be prefixed with "/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/"?
We probably want to make sure seats stay in the ConsoleKit object path
namespace,
so relataive seems like that best plan.

> On that occasion: should the seat and session object path namespace be
> better separated by having the IDs be like
>   /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/seats/Seat1
>   /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/sessions/Session1
> or even
>   /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/seats/1
>   /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/sessions/1
> instead of
>  /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1
>  /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1
> to prevent namespace issues?
Seems like a good idea.

> 3. What ways does layered software have to namespace its seats? Can I
> specify relative object pathes for grouping (e.g. AcmeConsole/id/123456)?
Probably should use studly capped prefix for namespacing so we don't
have introspection issues on intermediate object path components.

--Ray