[ConsoleKit] USB seats & ConsoleKit

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 5 19:03:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, 05.10.09 19:27, Brian Cameron (Brian.Cameron at Sun.COM) wrote:

> > GDM/ConsoleKit will pass the seat ID to X (does it already?) and, upon
> > user login/flex-switch/logout, add and remove that user from the group
> > matching their seat so they may have special access to their
> > seat-attached devices.
>
> It would be good if this were configurable, so that sysadmins can
> configure what devices are affected and how.  There are probably some
> environments where the sysadmin might want to lock down the
> configuration, and it would be good if that sort of configuration were
> possible.

Yes, it is configurable via udev rules. That's the whole point of
moving the matching into udev.

Or in other words: we don't need two matching systems for
hardware. Since udev already can match hw, we'd simply rely on that an
just tag the devices in the udev tree and then simply use that
information from ckit.

Of course, that lets Solaris out in the cold unless you adopt libudev
and the udev rules system too...

> > When X is updated to use libudev(3), its auto detect/enable devices
> > mechanisms will use the udev tree and properties to only autoconfigure
> > devices on the seat it is assigned, solving the problem we have today
> > that the primary seat grabs all devices.
>
> Having the primary seat grab all devices may be a reasonable
> configuration in some environments, so it might be more accurate to say
> that the problem is that it isn't currently possible to configure this
> behavior in more dynamic ways.

The main point of Bernie's mail was that this should be configured in
udev, not ck.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net