[ConsoleKit] extend ConsoleKit to support fast reboot on OpenSolaris x86

Jedy Wang Jedy.Wang at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 7 01:46:30 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I am a developer from SUN Microsystems. Now OpenSolaris x86 supports a
new feature called "Fast Reboot" which can skip BIOS and reboot directly
to a boot environment(a bootable OpenSolaris installation). For details,
you can refer to
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/intel-platform/fastreboot/fastrebootdocs/;jsessionid=5DB98E4F0A5C6D99B8CDAD3D9C1CD356.

I am working on adding fast reboot support for the restart dialog. In
order to accomplish this and because ConsoleKit provide the
functionality to reboot a system, I think ConsoleKit should be extended
to support fast reboot. Our plan is to:

1) add a checkbox to the restart dialog which indicating to do a fast
reboot or a normal reboot.

2) add a list of radio buttons with every radio button representing a
boot environment.

And here is 2 options we currently have:

1) Add 2 DBus methods, "GetRestartOptions" and "SetRestartOptions".
GetRestartOptions can be used to retrieve all options which can be used
in reboot. In my use case, these options include "Type" whose value is
"Fast" and "BE" whose value is a list of boot environments
("BE1,BE2,BE3"), if they are supported. And according to the options
returned by "GetRestartOptions", one can use "SetRestartOptions" to set
the options to control the behavior of reboot.

For example, if we want to fast reboot to a boot environment called
"BE1", we can use "SetRestartOptions Type:Fast BE:BE1" and then call
"Restart".

2) Add 1 DBus method, "RestartWithOptions".This method takes the same
options as option 1. Compared to option 1, this option is easy to
implement. But because there is no "GetRestartOptions", you do not know
which option is supported for your system and you have to take care of
this problem in your code.

Comments are welcomed.

Regards,

Jedy