[ConsoleKit] Permissions with consolekit and gdm

Brian Cameron brian.cameron at oracle.com
Fri Jul 2 10:26:03 PDT 2010

Christop:

Note that you could try changing the device permissions in the GDM
PreSession/PostSession scripts instead.  If, for some reason, there is
a problem changing permissions from within PAM modules, then these GDM
hooks are another interface you could try.  How to use this is in the
GDM manual in the Configuration section.

If you are running on OpenSolaris, the odd behavior you might be seeing
might be how logindevperm(4) works.  If you are using a different OS
that is not Linux, then they also may have their own solution since not
all distros support udev.  There could be a conflict between your
mechanism and the system one.  If the system already supports an
interface to manage this (such as logindevperm), then you may not need
to use a PAM module.

Odd behavior also could be due to the fact that the PAM code was very
much redesigned in the rewritten GDM (2.21 and later) and all the bugs
may not be shaken out yet.  So odd behavior could be a bug in GDM or
ConsoleKit or elsewhere.

Brian