[CREATE] shared icons between apps?

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Sat Nov 5 06:43:04 PST 2005

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

>Andreas,
>
>First of all, sharing icons topic is present in the "Needs further
>investigation" section of our spec. It was me who put it in there, so
>the idea of sharing icons between applications sounds right to me :)
>
>You might like contacting to Andy Fitzsimon, who recently started
>redoing icons for Scribus.

I saw him in #tango on irc some time ago, so I think he is interested.
I've sent a mail with all the icons I've done this far for graphic apps.
Hopefully I'll get an aswer soon.

>>I would like to do within the Tango-project as you might have heard of
>>(tango-project.org) as we have a bunch of really good artists on board
>>that are interested in doing icons for the apps involved in the
>>create-project.
>>

>I like Tango palette, though I don't really understand why pure black
>color is missing there.

The style-guidelines say that one don't have to use only the colors in
the palette, as you can start from a color and change the value, hue and
saturation. I think there are some #000-colors used in some of the icons
in the set already, check out the video-x-generic icon in the gallery:
http://wiki.silverorange.com/TangoPreview

>>Oh, yeah, and most of the tango-artists use several of the create-apps,
>>so the motivator for making some fine looking icons are probably quite high.
>>
>>We have started some work on a naming spec here:
>>http://tango-project.org/ArtLibreSet
>>Anyone interested?
>>

>I have some comments. Is
>http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/tango-artists the best
>way to communicate or do we stay in this mailing list? I wouldn't like
>to crosspost really.

Yes, I think the tango-list is most appropiate for such stuff (don't be
fooled by the name artists in it, much more than icons can be discussed,
and you don't have to be a good artist to post ;) ). I just used this
list to make sure I could get in touch of the developers of as many
graphics apps as possible.
Feel free to pop by #tango on irc.freenode.org aswell if you feel like it.

>Oh, I've just added a link to this spec to Specifications section at
>http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Cool!
- Andreas