[CREATE] shared resources spec

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Mon Nov 7 05:02:28 PST 2005

Hi Craig,

> We do not plan to share
> fonts.

It might be worth considering, because at the moment the range of
pre-installed fonts is pretty patchy across Linux distributions. I
might be biased because I've done quite a lot of typography and
layout work, but to me, knowing that you've got a good set of core
fonts available on any given system is at least as important as
brushes and palettes. It has implications for web browsing too of
course.

> Create is aiming to be a generic solution for the apps that
> depend on it.
>
> /usr/share/create/palettes
> /usr/share/create/soundbites
> /usr/share/create/gradients
>
> or whatever, in the future.

I just thought those paths imply that they are for the use of an
application called 'create' rather than a system-wide resource.
Presumably you want other apps to be able to use these resources even
if they are not coded by members of your project.

> > Whatever you decide, please, please make it LSB 3.0 and therefore
> > FHS 2.3 compliant:

> Can't honestly see how that isnt...

Sure, I can't see any obvious problems either - but it's good to be
aware of other standards that have already been laid down. I suggest
that when you've finalised your path names, you submit them to the
FHS people for inclusion in the next version of the FHS standard. I
understand that LSB is due to become an ISO standard, so this is all
the more important to get right:

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/11/03/150234

Cheers!

Daniel