[CREATE] shared resources spec

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 7 05:23:59 PST 2005

Hi Daniel

> It might be worth considering, because at the moment the range of
> pre-installed fonts is pretty patchy across Linux distributions. I
> might be biased because I've done quite a lot of typography and
> layout work, but to me, knowing that you've got a good set of core
> fonts available on any given system is at least as important as
> brushes and palettes. It has implications for web browsing too of
> course.

Except there are very few good (for DTP at least) free fonts. So many of the
distros include the most buggy, unreliable, unrippable fonts. I guess it
would be a way of sorting out the junk from the rest. There would not be many
to install. You would have to separate them like:
/usr/share/fonts/DTP
/usr/share/fonts/web
but that will get messy with all the TTF/TTC/Type1/OTF/dfont etc etc options
out there. There are probably enough font standard locations now without
adding another.

> > Create is aiming to be a generic solution for the apps that
> > depend on it.
> >
> > /usr/share/create/palettes
> > /usr/share/create/soundbites
> > /usr/share/create/gradients
> >
> > or whatever, in the future.
>
> I just thought those paths imply that they are for the use of an
> application called 'create' rather than a system-wide resource.
> Presumably you want other apps to be able to use these resources even
> if they are not coded by members of your project.

With an installable package, the name would simply indicate the files belong
to it. All the app developers will decide on a hard or soft dependency.

> > > Whatever you decide, please, please make it LSB 3.0 and therefore
> > > FHS 2.3 compliant:
> >
> > Can't honestly see how that isnt...
>
> Sure, I can't see any obvious problems either - but it's good to be
> aware of other standards that have already been laid down. I suggest
> that when you've finalised your path names, you submit them to the
> FHS people for inclusion in the next version of the FHS standard. I
> understand that LSB is due to become an ISO standard, so this is all
> the more important to get right:

Once a decision is made, yes, it will be worthwhile.

Craig