[CREATE] shared resources spec

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Nov 27 01:52:51 PST 2005

Sorry to point to an further aspect:

as I read
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHAREARCHITECTUREINDEPENDENTDATA
it talks about /usr/local as well.

Bob Friesenhahn mentioned recently on the OpenICC list the standard
install path for all packages is /usr/local and so does autotools.
/usr is a much more a system dependent thing.
Thinking further a package should work in every place it is brought to.
Even /opt/local or /afs/root_server would be a possibility.

Practical:
users sitting in an adiministrated environment have no chance to
succesfully install arbitrary packages, which are only working for
certain, possibly unreachable places - like the /usr hirarchy. Vice versa
Create would become a single workplace standard because you need allways
top root rights to install properly.

>From this, the Create project should support a user manageable
configuration, which is mantadory to applications.

Environment variables seems usual. Other ideas?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas