[CREATE] shared resources spec

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Oct 6 09:48:02 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 18:43 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 10/6/05, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Yes, thats reasonable. But it explains nothing to an user, searching for
> > an instant idea what this directories on his own computer mean. My point
> > is the directory name should be at most descriptive. If someone searches
> > on the computer she/he should simply look at directory names and get an
> > idea. There are tousands of directories. No normal user tries to
> > investigate further if it is not understandable at a first glance. If
> > she/he sees art, paint, clipart or ...  thats is intuitive. (At least I
> > hope.)
>
> >From this POV "art" seems to be most decriptive among "create",
> "media" and "art".
>
> > This was a try to find an association to "create" in google. We can not
> > expect a user will know anything about "create". Asking the google is a
> > good gauge.
>
> Ah, ok :)
>
> > > Do you mean /usr/share/art/supplies?
> >
> > I understood Craigs suggestion in this sense.
> >
> > > Or /usr/share/*/supplies?
> > > Or /usr/share/supplies?
> > >
> > > Why would we need yet another subdirectory?
> >
> > Hmm maybe not. I thought about a config file residing in /usr/share/art/,
> > in which all interessted applications can put theyre application
> > specific paths and more. But maybe this is as well possible with
> > the current directory layout and it dont belong to the first question:
> > "art-supplies" or something alternative.
>
> Well, at the moment we have 4 voices pro "media", 3 pro "art" and 3
> pro "create". I tend to agree with "art" as most descriptive and short
> variant, which gives us 4, 4 and 3 voices appropriately.
>
> Anyone else to chime in? ;)

Art tends to place a value upon what type of standards we are
consolidating. Hence, when coming up with the ideas for the Create
Project we batted around different concerns and settled on the concept
that this is to be space for creative application developers to work on
shared "things" together.

Thus, art tends to be a little too specific, yet media is a general term
to describe what the various creative applications use and operate on.
Plus, the various swatches, clip art, possibly samples, video loops etc
seem more general than art, which infers some type of high or low brow
cultural value we are adding to the standard UNIX path system

Thus, I'm still fully pushing for media.

Yes, I understand that udev and hal use media now for mounting, but
still, I think media is the most general for our needs. However, second
choice would be to use: create or creative

I prefer:

/usr/share/media/clipart
/usr/share/media/samples
/usr/share/media/swatches