[CREATE] Re: [OpenICC] colour palettes/lists

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Sep 16 09:12:07 PDT 2005

Am 16.09.05, 16:25 +0100 schrieb Alan Horkan:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:47:38 +0400
> > From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com>
> > To: openicc <openicc at lists.freedesktop.org>
> > Cc: create at lists.freedesktop.org, Igor Novikov <igor_nov at ukrpost.net>
> > Subject: [CREATE] Re: [OpenICC] colour palettes/lists
> >
> > On 9/15/05, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to bring over a discussion from the create list:
> > > What is a usual/standard format to store colour lists for exchanging
> > > between applications.
> >
> > My head starts hurting. If "colour lists" equals to "color sets" and
> > "color swatches", could we please use one term, in particular - the
> > one users will see in GUI (which would rather be "swatches")?
>
> I think this would be a big help.

We are talking about various aspects.
colours for painting (in an application, gimp/photoshop palettes)
colours for printers (dye cans, HKS/P*ntone)
colours for device measuring (in an CMS, ncl2/CGATS)

The discussion is about splitting or unifying these various
representations.

Sorry for the confusion.

> If I have actually made sense of this conversation the colour profiles
> needed for calibrating monitors and printers are also of use as colour
> swatches (aka colour palettes).  Is that even close to what has been
> talked about?

While measured swatches (usually called colour patches, format CGATS) are
used to generate ICC device profile. These swatches are mostly not
useful in drawing applications.
Anyway the ICC has included a special kind of profiles, which can be used
as colour swatches. Such profiles are called Named Color List 2 (or short
ncl2).
Therefore ncl2 is a candidate for exchanging swatches between
applications. Xml is the other candidate.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas