[CREATE] OpenRaster page

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 02:28:54 PDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Alexander, how can people get more involved in this effort and where do
> you (and others) see where it can go?

Depends on what people you are talking about :)

It might be a good idea to have more feedback (feature-wise) from
experienced users. It might be a very good idea to have feedback from
developers who use XML extensively (I know some). It's definitely
useful to have feedback from developers of open source applications
who have not shown signs of life in the first discussion.

I'd like hearing from Boudewijn, whether it's okay for him to involve
a wider audience into discussion of OpenRaster. (Actually, since
Nathan published his article at Newsforge, the wider audience might be
already listening.)

To my POV, in the end OpenRaster should

a) have flawless design;
b) be fully documented;
c) suit both users and developers, i.e. be both feature complete (so
that there would be no requirement to rework it every 6 months) and
easy to support;
d) be formally acknowledged as standard, i.e. become an OASIS recommendation;
e) have at least one full reference implementation in any of applications.

I'd like to elaborate on e). We can't design a flawless new file
format just theoretically, because as soon as we start implementing
support for it, we shall struggle with all kinds of issues. And we
clearly don't want revisions of specifications submitted to OASIS,
don't we? :) This is why we need some (or two) applications as a
testbed. Right now feature-wise Krita (trunk) and Cinepaint are close
to being such testbeds. GIMP needs integration of GEGL first.

Also, it would be useful to have at least _initial_ implementation in
vector graphics editors such as Inkscape or sK1 to see how good it
works for them.

Alexandre