[CREATE] OpenRaster core XML pondering (Re: OpenRaster page)

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Sun Aug 20 02:50:58 PDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Øyvind Kolås <pippin at gimp.org> wrote:
> On 8/10/06, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/10/06, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > I'd like to elaborate on e). We can't design a flawless new file
> > format just theoretically, because as soon as we start implementing
> > support for it, we shall struggle with all kinds of issues. And we
> > clearly don't want revisions of specifications submitted to OASIS,
> > don't we?
> ..
>
> GEGL doesn't need integration into GIMP to be used as a testbed, in I
> am already using it as a testbed to develop my ideas for how to
> implement a layer tree structure.
> ..

I've sketched an XML model which I'll try to implement a renderer for next week.

The code sample is a jpg with an svg layer with a proceduraly
generated drop-shadow as  a group layer.
We can use clones (instead of referencing gegl.svg twice), then all
directed acyclic graphs using just sources, filters, and composer
nodes can be expressed (thus making the graph equivalent of multiple
output or >2 inputs the only capability not supported.

<image>
  <layers>
    <layer x='128' y='128'>
      <layer x='15' y='15' composite-op='under' opacity='0.6'>
        <filter class='gaussian-blur' radius='20'/>
        <filter class='set-luminance' value='0.0'/>
        <layer src='gegl.svg'/>
      </layer>
      <layer src='gegl.svg'/>
    </layer>