[CREATE] OpenRaster

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Wed Jun 21 05:56:02 PDT 2006

At 02:20 AM 6/21/2006, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > * Any hierarchical arrangements should be described in XML and not
> > using the "fake directories" of ZIP/Tar. However, common naming
> > conventions for files/paths should be established.
>
>Well, I wouldn't call them fake,

         They are - in that the file structure is flat and the
hierarchy is "visual" by pathnames. It's not a true hierarchical
structure ala formats such as StuffIt.

>Oyvind Kolas proposed to make it possible to also store jpegs as read-only
>layers. I'm not sure how to make that work without, though.

         The only thing that I could see JPEG being used for, which
isn't noted in your format description, is as a "preview" or
"thumbnail" image.  It may also be worthwhile to have it as a "fully
composited" image - ala Photoshop - for applications that don't have
all the tools for composite on the fly but want to display the image.

>Are you sure it's  a good idea to make it impossible to store
>non-float rgb/grayscale data in
>the same way as cmyk/lab?

         I guess I should have said that use of PNG for those is a
recommendation and not a requirement.  I agree that in a file that
contains BOTH RGB and CMYK data, you'd probably want to use the same
storage method - but in an RGB-only, you might stick with PNG.

>Oh, and by "raw bits" -- do you mean no structuring  of the pixel
>layer data in tiles?

         I do.  I am not a big fan of tiled image data. But that's
more personal than technical.

>Probably, but don't we want OpenDocument compatibility here?

         But this is part of an embedded raster image inside of an
ODF document - not the other way around.  If you try to make this
format also provide for compound documents - ala PDF or XPS - you
will dilute it's true purpose.

LDR