[CREATE] OpenRaster

gwidion at mpc.com.br gwidion at mpc.com.br
Wed Jun 21 11:00:26 PDT 2006

Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
---
>Oyvind Kolas proposed to make it possible to also store jpegs as read-only
>layers. I'm not sure how to make that work without, though.

         The only thing that I could see JPEG being used for, which
isn't noted in your format description, is as a "preview" or
"thumbnail" image.  It may also be worthwhile to have it as a "fully
composited" image - ala Photoshop - for applications that don't have
all the tools for composite on the fly but want to display the image.
---

Actually, I think jpegs for the actual raster data in some cases is perfectly fine.

Use case 1: I have this jpeg 8MPixel photo, I just want to add some text to. Why
should I make my file 3 times bigger, if all I need with noiseless precision is the
text layer ?

Jpegs should not be the default pixel storage method, but I can't see why not to
have fully functional jpeg layers.

      JS
      -><-
     (That is joão on crappy webmail)