[CREATE] OpenDocument. Was: [Gimp-developer] Photoshop PSD 6 format Spec / Gimp XCF format Spec

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Mar 2 15:52:53 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> Subject: [CREATE] OpenDocument. Was: [Gimp-developer] Photoshop PSD 6
>     format Spec / Gimp XCF format Spec

[...]

> OpenDocument automatically means some choices are made for us: a zip file
> store, a certain layout inside that store, and xml main document and
> resources for the binary data. Those choices may not be the best possible
> technical choices, but Krita already uses a similar mechanism and it seems to
> work.

I like this suggestion, I like it a lot.  The leverage you will get from
being able to use a wealth of existing tools, documentation and
programming APIs will be significant.

I just wanted to mention on this list the comment I made on the other
mailing list, MNG obviously is not be perfect but it is big improvement
over PNG and JPG.  I think MNG would give people another layered option
with a decent chance of gaining wider support until other better solutions
come along.  (I know I've mentioned it to Boudewijn before and I had to
convince him MNG wasn't just about animation.)

I hope people will consider it seriously.

- Alan