[CREATE] Hello from Audacity

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Mon Mar 13 03:29:20 PST 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 10:57, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>
>> Dominic Mazzoni wrote:
>>
>>> One reason that Audacity has in the past resisted suggestions that we
>>> coordinate with other free software projects on things like icons is
>>> that the large majority of other free software projects seem to be
>>> Linux-focused.  Along those lines, they tend to create Linux-centric
>>> UIs, conforming maybe to GNOME or KDE - but they don't work well on the
>>> Mac or Windows.  Now, Audacity is very popular on Linux, especially
>>> among our developers - but we take pride in the fact that Audacity looks
>>> and feels very much like a native application on Windows and Mac OS X.
>>> To be specific, the icons and stuff that work on Linux just don't work
>>> on the Mac or on Windows XP.
>>>
>> Inkscape and Gimp are already running on Linux, Windows and Mac, Scribus
>> is on Linux and Mac with a Windows port under way, probably Krita will
>> take the same path along with KOffice at some point, so i think is
>> possible to find some common ground.
>> Also, think about the possibility to use Create as a place to
>> collaborate with other developers of audio (and maybe video) FOSS
>> applications.
>>

> Scribus runs on Windows.. as available from 1.3.2, with 1.3.3 coming up. Files
> on sourceforge :)..
>
> We are seriously considering the tango ArtLibre set of icons, and will be
> discussing this at the Libre Graphics Meeting in Lyon over the weekend. Once
> some are nicer, some more are done, many will fit our needs well.
>
> We also plan an icon theme system though in case we need to use a particular
> icon or set on a platform.
>
> Craig

I just wanted to take the opportunity to point out that the Tango
guidelines have been made in such a way that the icons will not feel
radically alien on neither osx nor windows.
I'll do my best to make the icons in artlibre blend in as good as
possible with the rest of the desktop on the other platforms than linux
aswell.
- Andreas