[CREATE] raw processing

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere at teaser.fr
Wed Mar 15 08:45:07 PST 2006

[ restricted to the list ]

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 17:48 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> What would libopenraw provide? reading ...
> ok, thumbnail access and extracting of metadata.

The ultimate goal is to provide a stable library for RAW processing,
ranging from metadata extraction to standard processing algorithm. It
will also be possible to plug your own processing if you want.

ATM dcraw does a lot, but with no modularity.

A shortly exchanged e-mail with Dave Coffin, and he is not intersted in
turning dcraw into a really library.

> How is its relation to www.openraw.org ? Is the name clash a decission?
> Will it adress the requirements of photographers stated at openraw.org?

I'll do my best in that area. It sort of derive from the OpenRAW
initiative as I'm following it closely. Note that the OpenRAW initiative
is about getting a complete disclosed documentation from the
manufacturers (Canon said that there have been no business case to do so
*sigh*), while libopenraw focuses on the implementation based on what we
have, this implementation being used as a reference for anybody willing
to use it.
Note that this sounds really ambitious, and it is. I don't know how far
it would go.

Lately real-life and day-job have taken over a bit....

Hub