[CREATE] Re: raw processing

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 12:27:00 PST 2006

On 3/16/06, Gilles Caulier wrote:

> > Those who have experience of work with Windows software for processing
> > RAW know that each and every application has its own way to store
> > changes introduced to originals.
>
> If you want mean image data or image metadata ? It's not the same...

Initially I was talking about image data only - changes like WB, EV
etc. But since XMP can handle both image data and metadata, why not
discuss both? :)

> not initial : it's complete and support 16 bits color depth ! Forget digiKam
> 0.8.1 that only support 8 bits/color/pixels. The next 0.9.0 release will be
> available like beta1 during May will support all RAW files in 16 bits to edit
> in Image editor and Showfoto. The image data after decoding need to be saved
> in TIFF or PNG file format to preserve 16 bits color depth.
>
> In the future, DNG file format will be supported in read/write. I have planed
> later than 0.9.0 release to provide a RAW file converter in the fly dirrectly
> in camera interface with metadata support !
>
> In the same way, a new tool will be created to batch convert RAW files from
> HDD in other file formats : TIFF/PNG/DNG.

I wonder if you could collaborate with Krita team then. It does need a
good RAW loader. You could make a perfect pair similar to {Aperture +
Photoshop}.

> Actually, digikam 0.9.0 use Exiv2 library to manage metadata + an internal
> class named DMetadata, for example to manage Exif/Iptc raw file profiles
> generated by Imagemagick during file conversion.

Err, I recently exchanged with Exiv2's author on different formats and
he wrote me that CRW metadata is supported right now only, which is
kinda sad for me since I deal with .cr2 only and there are lots of
other formats out there (NEF, MRW etc.) :)

> Well take a on the fresh screenshots here :
>
> http://www.digikam.org/?q=image/tid/10
> http://www.digikam.org/?q=image/tid/24
> http://www.digikam.org/?q=image/tid/25

Looks very impressive!