[CREATE] Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Mon Mar 20 15:40:11 PST 2006

Hello,

Firstly, I invite developers of The Gimp, Cinepaint, Krita and any other
projects interested in talking about an Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps
Graphics to join the create mailing list at freedesktop.org (more information
on specific projects mailing list.

So this discution is about a common file for graphics applications, and used
for sharing graphics between different projects, like OASIS's opendocument is
for office applications, and svg for vectorial graphics.

### Three Steps

I think we should divide the effort of defining the specification of the file
format in three steps :
1) identification of needs, problems and requirements
2) general technical solutions
3) writing the specs

### A roadmap

I propose that we follow this roadmap:
- until the end of March, everyone express freely what he thinks are the
needs / problems
- someone (a native speaker would be better I guess) will then write the draft
of the list of requirements for the specification, after this document is
produce, we take some time to think about what we have forgotten, what need
to be add and modified, and the final version will be published for the end
of April the begining of May
- until the end of june, we take between a month or two months to discuss the
general technical solutions and we decide who (a group of person) will be
charge of writting the draft of the specification

It would be nice to have the specification ready for the end of the year. And
as the specifications has to be extensible, it seems to be a reasonable goal.

Please note, that this roadmap is just an indication, I have no idea of how
much time each steps will require.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---