[CREATE] Re: Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 21 06:21:22 PST 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 15:09, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> In the sense of seeking in a jpeg file inside the zip file, through
> libjpeg - No.
>
> A zip file is seekable on a too low programming level. Without a general
> purpose library, which handles this low level stuff, there will remain
> many applications without proper support for the new format or perhaps
> slow down the desktop.

It wouldn't put a a jpeg inside a zipfile; jpeg is not an editable format.
Plain pixel dumps, either tile-by-tile or scanline-by-scanline are much more
usable.

> For a general exchange format it would be desireable to support:
> o seeking (inside of the contained files)
> o selfexplaining - would be really nice
> o easy programmable

Given the ubiquity of libraries for the handling of zip and xml it seems to me
that easy to program is one feature that the Oasis format provides.

> Ok, this are only the weak or unclear points I see with the zip format.
>
> > > o Zip is prooven to what kind of document content?
> >
> > Layered raster images with exif and icc data and adjustment layers.
>
> Oh, which applications make use of it? Maybe I can get an idea how it
> is proven in practise, that would be nice.

Krita does it that way -- it uses the old KOffice file format which is
basically a zipfile containing stuff. Works fine.

> > > o What is with audio, video?
> >
> > I don't know: the prposal is about a standard file format for the
> > interchange of layered raster images, not a general multimedia file
> > format. Of course, the same trick we use for layer binary data could be
> > used for general multimedia content, if needed.
>
> Audio, video, large graphics are pretty much the same.
> If the format shall be extensible, other media would be the next steps to
> cover.

I'm not sure whether it makes sense to be that extensible.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi